WCMS Mission Statement
The mission of White County Middle School is to provide a safe and stimulating environment where all children can master the necessary academic skills to meet the challenges of adulthood by establishing high expectations and becoming responsible, self-directed learners who are ready to achieve academic success at the high school level and beyond.
At WCMS, students will dress and be groomed in a clean, neat, and modest manner that does not distract or interfere with the operation of the school, nor pose a safety risk for the student. The principal or designee will make the final determination of the appropriateness of student dress when unresolved by the teacher and student. Students who fail to comply with this dress code will be sent to the office immediately. They will be asked to call home to have a parent bring appropriate clothing. Students will not be allowed to return to class until dress code conforms to policies. They will be placed in in-school suspension if the correction cannot be made immediately.
The following are prohibited:
- Pants that sag, bag, drag, or expose flesh or undergarments.
- Spandex and jeggings
- Holes in clothes (All holes repaired must be patched or sewn. Any patch or repaired area that is suggestive in placement or appearance is not permitted.)
- Suggestive slogans on clothes, such as death/violence, vulgar captions, pictures or advertisements for tobacco, drugs, or alcoholic products
- Bandannas for boys or girls
- Form fitting or body conforming clothes
- See-through clothing, tank tops, spaghetti straps, or clothes revealing the midriff, stomach, back, chest or shoulders.
- Revealing necklines
- Flip-flops/ shower shoes/ beach shoes/ cleats / shoes with wheelies
- Clothing or articles related to gangs, including wallet or belt chains or trench coats
- Extreme hair color (unnatural colors, distracting slogans in hair, distracting styles such as mohawks etc.)
- Extreme make-up/nail polish
- Leggings without standard length dresses/skirts
- Shorts, skirts, or slits in skirts higher than 4 inches from the bend in back of the knee
- Tinted glasses/sunglasses, unless doctor prescribed
- Shirts with revealing bare shoulders
- Body piercing jewelry, except for earrings
- Tattoos must be covered at all times
- Distracting, disruptive, unsafe jewelry
- Detached sleeves. Gloves and dog/cat collars
- Safety pins on clothes or personal items
- Oversized backpacks or bags (All must fit into lockers.)
Any of attire that disrupts the learning environment or has the potential for creating a negative influence in the classroom is not to be worn. Take pride in yourself.